Archives for posts with tag: System Center Configuration Manager

The Problem

The other day I was faced with a simple little issue to solve.  I had the Serial Number/Service Tag for a Dell server but I had no idea where it was physically located nor did I know the name of the server.  This would have not been a problem with our clients because we name our clients the same as the Service Tag.  But, our servers are named differently.

System Center Configuration Manager to the Rescue…Again!

So I decided to use SCCM reporting to solve this problem since SCCM collects all sorts of data anyway.  I created a custom report called Computers with a specific Dell ServiceTag.  The following is the SQL statement that I wrote.

SELECT SYS.Netbios_Name0, SYS.AD_Site_Name0, SYS.Operating_System_Name_and0
FROM v_GS_PC_BIOS BIOS
JOIN v_R_System SYS on SYS.ResourceID = BIOS.ResourceID
WHERE BIOS.SerialNumber0 LIKE @serialNumber
ORDER BY SYS.Netbios_Name0

  1. Click the Prompts button and add a prompt property
  2. Name: serialNumber and Prompt text: Serial Number
  3. Check the Provide a SQL statement box and enter the following:

    begin
    if (@__filterwildcard = '')
    select distinct SerialNumber0 from v_GS_PC_BIOS order by SerialNumber0
    else
    select distinct SerialNumber0 from v_GS_PC_BIOS
    WHERE SerialNumber0 like @__filterwildcard
    order by SerialNumber0
    end

That should do it.

Advertisements

Microsoft Update Tuesday…Blah!

I absolutely dread Microsoft Update Tuesday.  I think I dread it the most because I use System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) to deploy software updates.  Originally, when first deploying SCCM, I’ll admit that I didn’t spend quite enough time thinking through how sustainable the methodology that I configured would be.  Now that I have 3 years worth of updates in SCCM, I decided that some changes need to be made to our methodology because it takes me too long to deploy new updates.  So let’s see what configuration settings I can change to make this process a little easier and less time-consuming for me.

A Little About Our Environment

I have configured our SCCM environment with 1 Primary Site and 11 Secondary Sites which are geographically dispersed throughout the state, Ohio and Massachusetts.  The Primary site has the Software Update Point site system installed.  I utilize Update Lists to keep the updates organized and categorized.  I categorize by update type (i.e. Security, Critical, Updates, Update Rollups, Service Packs, etc.) and year (i.e. 2009, ’10, ’11).  This makes it easy to find specific updates and to later combine them into packages.

In the past I would divide the Deployment Management Advertisements along these lines as well.  This was a terrible idea originally as I soon found out after 1 year of doing things this way that it would continue to take more time in the long run–as more years accumulated. Read the rest of this entry »